Saturday, January 27, 2007

Interview in AziaCity.com

By far the best thing I read over the last few days on the web (or otherwise for that matter) was an interview with James Nachtwey by Gregoire Glachant and Daniel Cutbert.

For me, most relevant were Nachtwey’s comments on the question on what you are “allowed” to photograph and on the aesthetics of images used in photojournalism. I am quoting James Nachtwey’s answers:

“I don't censor myself. I don't believe in censorship, including self-censorship. I work from instinct and intuition. The way I work is very improvisational, subjective. I don't try to limit myself by establishing a preconceived notion of what I can or cannot photograph. I can photograph anything. It's the way in which you photograph that matters.”

“There's no need to apologize for using the language of photography, the formal elements of my medium. That's the reality I'm faced with: there's a rectangular frame, there's a foreground, middle ground and background, there's a right, left, top, bottom. These are the tools I have to work with. I try to use them in an eloquent way. I don't use the formal elements of photography for their own sake. I don't use what's happening in the world to make statements about photography, I use photography to make statements about what's happening in the world. I'm a witness and I want my testimony to be eloquent.”

The full interview can be read following this link:

Interview with James Nachtwey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home