Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Addendum to East 100th Street

I also noticed (and forgot to add to my last blog entry) that Bruce Davidson had used two different formats in his book East 100th Street: the 2:3 ratio (i.e. 35mm format) and to a lesser extent the square format, suggesting that apart from his Leica he also used a medium format camera for the more formal portraits of the residents at their respective homes.

I assume that as a protégé of Henri Cartier Bresson himself, Davidson was as opposed to cropping as the devil shies away from holy water... so I assume that the square format originated from a genuine medium format camera. Should I be trying different camera formats as well, my Leica M8 for the more loose images around the Independence Square and try a more formal approach with my Hasselblad for portraits at home? I better pack both of them for my trip as there are a lot of unanswered questions still…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home