Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Work in progress (Part 2)

Like the images, the focus of my project is very much work in progress too, which I will also share in this blog - if only for my own sake to be able to reconstruct my thought process afterwards.

After having spent more time now walking around Independence Square and the underpasses underneath it, I have come to the conclusion to shift the focus of the project back to the story on the underpasses. I have noticed a lot of changes in the social fabric and environment of the underpasses already since I have been here the last time. And I expect further changes to these underpasses to happen over the next few years. I can just see that some of the features that are characteristic now (greenish walls, independent traders, babuschkas, unorganised social life of the young and old) will disappear over the next few years.

This hypothesis was bolstered over dinner on Monday night when I discussed this with a fellow lightstalker who remarked how the underpasses in Moscow have changed over the last few years. They have nearly all been cleaned up and the very features that once were characteristic for the social fabric of these underpasses have all but vanished by now.

In economic terms and in terms of the development of the society (e.g. emergence and establishment of a middle class), Kiev is probably 3 - 5 years behind Moscow, so one could assume that these underpasses go the same way as those went in Moscow.

What better hunting ground for a documentary photographer than a place that is changing and vanishing?











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home