Thursday, March 15, 2007

Seattle so far...

I had trouble to upload any images into my blog this week, therefore I haven’t posted anything. I still cannot upload any images but decided to post at least a bit of written text (although would have been nice to show some images of Seattle – I might add them as soon as this problem is resolved).

I arrived in Seattle on Monday evening and spent about two days wandering around Seattle before starting my project with Peter and Frans (they were also busy working, still are in fact, so it was good that I could spend a bit of time on my own and get over my jetlag).

Among others, I went to the public library on Fifth Avenue/Spring, which was opened in 2004 and designed by Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas. The library includes a nice view over the city from the tenth floor and a fancy all red fourth floor (you will see just how red it is, once I can upload images again). And also went up the Seattle tower (157m high), despite me being scared of heights.

Yesterday evening I started my documentary project with Peter and Frans, documenting their last few days before their twins get born this Saturday. I focused in particular on their preparations for this life-changing event. The birth will happen in Akron, Ohio where their surrogate mother lives. This means that not only the “arrival” of the twins has to be planned but also the travel to and from Ohio.

Part of this project has been easy for me since I know Peter and Frans quite well and therefore access and “breaking the ice” is not an issue at all. On the other hand, this makes it sometimes more difficult for me to step into the shoes of someone who is not so familiar with their situation and to produce images that are both informative but at the same time still interesting and not too bland. In addition, I have been trying to make sure that all of the images show some aspects of the relationship between Peter and Frans. Otherwise I might just end up with a few images that show two men going about their daily business.

Moreover, especially in this context when you are very familiar with the people and the situation there is a very fine line between just observing and documenting and starting to direct events. Can I put the proverbial glass of water out of the frame when it is in my way taking a picture or am I already interfering too much? Can I ask to change the lighting when it is not suitable? When I am observing interaction between them, can I direct them to a location in their flat that would produce a more interesting image? Where do you draw the line between truly documentary photography and staged photography? So far I have refused to have anything arranged for me, apart obviously from some formal portraits I have been taking of Peter and Frans.

Hopefully I will be able to post some images again soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just focus on the "project" (and the birth) now.
you can post the photos later on...

12:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home