Sunday, March 18, 2007

Akron, Ohio

It seems that we are now deep in Eggleston country :-) Or is it just me that I see all these Egglestonesque images around because I spent quite a bit time analysing his work and looking at his images recently?





Well, obviously these are just the ancillary images I am taking while doing my main project. I guess I have shot now about 600 images (or about the equivalent of 15 rolls of film for those of you who are still old school :-) for the main project. I attempt to post the images in a slideshow once I have edited the images and completed and the project. I have decided against publishing individual images before completing the project (well, I post a “teaser” here, to show that the twins have been born.).





In short, the twins came two days earlier as planned since there was not enough amniotic fluid to support them for few more days, so the doctors decided to deliver them on Thursday instead on Saturday as planned. Since Peter and Frans only learned about this on Thursday morning in Seattle, there was no way they could have made it to Ohio in time for the birth (it is about a six hour flight). However, all went according to plan and two healthy twins (a boy: Jonas Maup and a girl: Coco Anemone) were born on Thursday afternoon.

We arrived in Akron, Ohio, on Friday evening and went straight to the hospital. It was quite a moving moment when Peter and Frans saw their children for the first time. I feel very privileged to have been able to observe (and photograph) these precious moments.

A few observations on the project: I am very grateful for the access that Peter and Frans have given me to this very special moment of their lives. I have been able to be around and photograph whenever and whatever I wanted (the hospital has also been very forthcoming. I even managed to photograph the DNA testing). I expected that to be much more difficult. I guess I have been quite lucky.

What is quite interesting - due to the familiarity I have with the main protagonists - I start to become quite involved (I hugged the surrogate mother, held the twins, etc.). How much can I get involved without losing the ability to observe and document properly? Do I have to detach myself more to be able to stay the neutral and alert observer? Does it affect the quality of the images/project if I get too involved?

And, I am still struggling with taking pictures and recording sound at the same time. I either do a lousy job at both if I attempt to do it at the same time or I end up with (decent) images and no sound. So far, I have been focusing on the images (which is closer to my heart) but am quite aware that I missed out on some key sound bites.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

rupert, the wallpaper and "st. paddys day" shoot are really beautiful ! well done.

1:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home