Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Stepping out of your comfort zone

I have to renege on my intention not to publish any images before my project is completed. The “triptych” I shot today of the adorable twins is just too cute not to share it (obviously I am also shooting some images that Peter and Frans can share with their families and friends).







Well, just to continue with the story: the twins were discharged from the hospital today along with the surrogate mother. Peter and Frans took their children back to the hotel in Akron where they are going to have their first sleepless night, I presume. We are staying in Akron until the results of the DNA test are available and the birth certificates can be issued. Hopefully by Thursday we can leave Akron and fly back to Seattle.

I have some further thoughts on the “sound” issue – apologies to those who are getting fed up with this topic but this is a very pertinent issue on my mind. Apart from the reason that it is physically difficult to record sound while taking images (try to focus with a rangefinder camera while you are fiddling with a digital voice recorder): I am simply more comfortable taking pictures than recording sound. It just dawned on me today that there is a major difference between taking images and recording sound. I am getting increasingly comfortable taking pictures in sometimes delicate situations, I just manage somehow to blend into the background at some stage, nobody takes notice of me anymore and I can just observe and photograph – when I believe you get the best shots. Recording sound means that you have to approach people and ask questions and get more involved, i.e. it means stepping out of your (i.e. my) comfort zone.

Well, today I did step out of my comfort zone and did an interview with the surrogate mother with my voice recorder running. After two to three hours of editing the recorded interview afterwards I am quite pleased with the result. I think it will form the backbone of the slideshow I intend to produce as part of this project. Still it meant that I took fewer images today… You can’t have it both still applies in my opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home